Welcome return for Drop The Hammer

06 August 2022 | HRNSW MEDIA | PAUL COURTS
Logo
Drop The Hammer

Drop The Hammer

WIN, lose or draw, it's good to have him back.
That's the call from Inter Dominion winning horseman Darren Hancock ahead of Drop The Hammer's racing return at Club Menangle on Saturday night.
A triple Group Two winner, Drop The Hammer has been side lined since his inglorious performance at the world class venue last October.
Subsequent scans revealed the trotter was hampered by a bone spur in his off-side front knee which had to be surgically removed.
"He'd never had a lame day in his life, but just wasn't right," Hancock said. "I got him scanned and the vet found a spur in his knee which was ready to become a chip.
"We had him operated on and gave him plenty of time off to recover."
A recent trial winner in solid time, Drop The Hammer has drawn barrier nine over 2300 metres.
The pacing-bred son of Bettors Delight slots into eight with the removal of the emergency.
With several in-form and race fit rivals to contend with, Drop The Hammer has been kept safe in betting at $12.
"I'm very happy with the way he has come up," Hancock said. "It was only a minor issue that kept him away from the races and he's taken no harm from it.
"Whether he wins first-up or not, it's great to have a horse of his calibre back and feeling good.
"It goes without saying whatever he does on the weekend he will certainly improve on.
"It'll take him a few starts to get back to his best, but I've got no doubt he will."
Earmarking the Melbourne Inter Dominion as a possible long term goal with the seven-year-old, Hancock stated he is yet to make a firm decision on an interstate campaign.
"He's certainly capable of being in the Inter Dominion, but whether we go remains to be seen," Hancock said.
"At this stage I'm just glad to have him back and happy to be racing him at Menangle."

 

Related News

19 February 2026
Peter Pins Faith in Sweet Lou
A former dual world record holder and Breeders Crown champion, Sweet Lou is undoubtedly the most in-demand stallion in the Commonwealth. He was the leading stakemoney sire in both North America and Australia last year and has regularly topped the two and three-year-old sires’ list in New Zealand....
19 February 2026
LISTEN: Dan and Rob preview Bendigo on Friday
Thanks to the support of Squires Loft Sunbury, Dan Mielicki and Rob Auber talk through this week’s Friday afternoon meeting at Bendigo. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN AT THETROTS.COM.AU
19 February 2026
Lang plots feature path for emerging mare I Am Wilma
Chris Lang knows what a star trotter looks like. The decorated horseman has trained some of Victoria’s best of the modern era like Sundons Gift, Skyvalley and Let Me Thru, who helped him become the “King of trotting” at the time. After a hiatus from the game, he’s been back in...
19 February 2026
GOODFORM – Bronte's best for Ballarat Thursday
Bronte Nieuwenburg has done the form for tonight’s meeting at Ballarat. Race 1: OVERVIEW: BLACKINDEED (8) is a speedy mare in great form. She will need to navigate off the fence to win here, but if she gets clear air she looks the one to beat. BULLETPROOF KID (7) is a talented horse who has had...
19 February 2026
Mick is filling his Boots
Leviathan New South Wales owner Michael Boots certainly had a night to remember last Saturday evening. The Leeton based businessman has, in recent times become one of the biggest owners in Harness Racing Australia wide, with a vast number of horses performing for him right across the nation. Mick is...
Click for more