Star Victorians join Queensland raid

23 May 2022 | Courtesy of News Corp

THE Victorian “army” just keeps getting stronger for the upcoming Queensland Constellations Carnival.

Two of last night’s most impressive Melton winners – Triple Eight and Amore Vita – booked their trips north for what shapes as one of the best Winter Carnivals Queensland has hosted.

The star pair join the likes of champion mare Ladies In Red, Chariots Of Fire winner Better Eclipse and last-start Group 1 winner Beyond Delight in “Team Victoria.”

The Jess Tubbs-trained Triple Eight, a former high-class Kiwi pacer, returned from a break with an arrogant win in last night’s Melton free-for-all.

Driver Greg Sugars gave him a perfect trip and Triple Eight cruised past his rivals to win without being extended.

The Inter Dominion finalist will target races like the Group 1 Sunshine Sprint (July 16) and Group 1 Blacks A Fake (July 23).

Tubbs and Sugars already had locked-in a trip north with Better Eclipse, who was the first pacer to accept an invite to the Group 1 Rising Sun at Albion Park on July 9.

Amore Vita underlined why many think she is the best three-year-old filly in the land with a powerhouse first-up win last night.

Trainer Nathan Purdon confirmed she will chase the Queensland Oaks, but go north early for some lead-up races.

“It was great to see her come out and win so well because we knew she would need a run or two to get back to her top after the break,” Purdon said.

“She thrived during the break, which is exactly what we hoped for, but it meant we needed to get a couple of runs into her before going to Queensland.”

Amore Vita has been a revelation since joining Purdon’s stable with 11 starts for eight wins, two seconds and a third.

“It will be great to get back to Queensland where we had so much success last winter,” Purdon said.

He’s referring to winning the inaugural Group 1 Rising Sun and Group 1 Blacks A Fake with the now USA-based Amazing Dream.

Ladies In Red is trying to do what Amazing Dream did last year and win the Rising Sun as a four-year-old mare.

It will be a shock if her exciting stablemate, Beyond Delight, doesn’t get a run in the Rising Sun and be very competitive as well.

 

  • Adam Hamilton is a paid contributor writing on harness racing for News Corp.

 

 

Related News

19 February 2026
LISTEN: Dan and Rob preview Bendigo on Friday
Thanks to the support of Squires Loft Sunbury, Dan Mielicki and Rob Auber talk through this week’s Friday afternoon meeting at Bendigo. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN AT THETROTS.COM.AU
19 February 2026
Lang plots feature path for emerging mare I Am Wilma
Chris Lang knows what a star trotter looks like. The decorated horseman has trained some of Victoria’s best of the modern era like Sundons Gift, Skyvalley and Let Me Thru, who helped him become the “King of trotting” at the time. After a hiatus from the game, he’s been back in...
19 February 2026
GOODFORM – Bronte's best for Ballarat Thursday
Bronte Nieuwenburg has done the form for tonight’s meeting at Ballarat. Race 1: OVERVIEW: BLACKINDEED (8) is a speedy mare in great form. She will need to navigate off the fence to win here, but if she gets clear air she looks the one to beat. BULLETPROOF KID (7) is a talented horse who has had...
19 February 2026
Mick is filling his Boots
Leviathan New South Wales owner Michael Boots certainly had a night to remember last Saturday evening. The Leeton based businessman has, in recent times become one of the biggest owners in Harness Racing Australia wide, with a vast number of horses performing for him right across the nation. Mick is...
19 February 2026
Leap To Fame Miracle Mile decision this weekend
D-DAY is almost here for Leap To Fame’s Miracle Mile plans. Owner Kevin Seymour confirmed a decision would be made this weekend whether Leap To Fame chases a second win in the $1 million Miracle Mile on March 14. At this stage, it seems unlikely. Leap To Fame returned from Melbourne to trainer...
Click for more