SA Trots - Clarke & Ryan Racing weekend winners

18 October 2021 | Graham Fischer
Logo

Roseworthy husband and wife Toby and Lisa Ryan have done their part to provide a get well tonic for Mount Gambier trainer-driver Andrew Clarke.

Trainer Toby and driver Lisa have won races over the weekend with the two horses left with them by Clarke a week earlier.

On Friday, Clarke, while out working six horses on his Mount Gambier property, discovered he has lost his ability to speak.

“I had a phone call and found I couldn’t string words together so I knew something was wrong,” Clarke said.

“I fed up then took myself to hospital and was admitted.

“They are still not sure what caused the speech loss but one of the thoughts is that I might have had an adverse reaction to my Astra Zeneca jab.

“However, my speech is a lot better now and I’m hoping to be discharged on Tuesday.”

Clarke said he wasn’t surprised Abstractor and Urgoodboy had won at Globe Derby Park and Gawler respectively.

“I took a team of five to Globe Derby Park on Saturday, October 9 and decided to leave the two best ones with Toby and Lisa.

“With borders closed, the cost of travel from Mount Gambier and the prizemoney levels made sense to leave a few in Adelaide.”

Starting at the massive odds of $151, Abstractor, the first Clarke runner for the Ryans, led throughout at Globe Derby Park on Saturday winning the Mitavite Studgro Pace (1800m). ‘

“I wasn’t surprised he won,” Clarke said.

“If the race had been 1800 rather than 2230 the week earlier, I believe he would have been in the finish.

“He is a good horse.”

Clarke’s daughter Jodie sent him a text message saying he was big odds, then sent another text saying he had won.

“I didn’t have a cent on him, but Jodie had $2 each way.

“On Sunday she came into the hospital, and we watched Urgoodboy win on her phone.

“Toby and Lisa are wonderful people and I’m glad the two horses won for them. Maybe I will have to send a few more up.

“I believe they will more than pay their way in Adelaide.”

Clarke said provided he was released from hospital tomorrow, he would be back in the sulky working his team on Wednesday.

* Story Graham Fischer

* Photo Walter Bulyga

 

Related News

20 May 2026
Young Kiwi star Marketplace to chase Queensland riches
YOUNG Kiwi star Marketplace will make his first Australian raid to chase the $350,000 Group 1 Rising Sun at Albion Park in July. Last season’s NZ 3YO Pacer of the Year boasts 13 wins from just 23 starts, including both outings this season. He already boasts four Group 1 wins. Connections deliberated...
19 May 2026
Emma and Clayton set for major Queensland raid
Victorian trainers Emma Stewart and Clayton Tonkin are the latest to declare their hand for the “mecca” that will be the Queensland Constellations winter carnival. CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL STORY
19 May 2026
All Bets are Off on this Filly!
All Bets Off was one of North America’s most outstanding colt pacers in the 2010’s, winning 30 races including five Grade One’s and $3 million in stakes and taking a mark of 1:48.4. The Bettor’s Delight horse is now matching his greatness as a racehorse in the siring field, producing...
19 May 2026
Trot Rods decider set to light up 'The Triangle'
In the 2026 edition of the Trot Rods, 64.14 seconds is the time to beat. The one lap 947 metre sprint format is restricted to five runners per heat. It produces fast and furious racing in pursuit of the $10,000 bonuses on offer to the owner and the trainer of the quickest winner across the series. With...
19 May 2026
Clayton proves it's just like riding a bike
The old phrase goes that it is "just like riding a bike". For Queensland horseman Matthew Clayton, there are a few minor differences, but that is mostly how he has approached dipping his toes back into race driving over the last few years. The 44-year-old prefers to book the top drivers for...
Click for more